Saturday, April 27, 2013

Proud of my alma mater after seeing Dieruff's "AIDA"

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


Back on the theater trail tonight and this time back to some old stomping grounds  -- Dieruff High School.
Have not been in the building much in recent years, and I can't remember the last time I was in the auditorium. Even when I was a student there, um, a few years ago, I didn't spend too much time in the auditorium.
But I was most proud to be there tonight and marveled at the school's production of "AIDA."
Had always wanted to see this one, featuring the uplifting music of Elton John, but never had the chance.
So, the Dieruff students introduced me to this love story with a passionate performance that featured terrific singing and dancing.
The whole show was done by just 19 cast members, and the lead characters were on stage quite a bit and roved around considerably. Don't know how they kept the stamina through the show, but they did so with powerful voices.
Everyone was terrific, but I was especially impressed by the lead three -- Rachel Wingfield as Amneris,Drey Vargas as Radames and Taisha Walker as Aida

No comments: