Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lehigh senior and Northampton grad Billy Boyko confirms he has signed a free-agent contract with Raiders

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

FROM KEITH GROLLER


Lehigh senior linebacker and Northampton graduate Billy Boyko said he signed a free-agent contract with the Oakland Raiders on Saturday night and will join teammate Ryan Spadola in trying to continue his football career in the NFL.
The 6-2, 239-pound Boyko impressed several teams, including the Raiders, at Lehigh's "Pro Day" in March.
He said the team's linebackers coach was in touch during the draft. Right after the draft ended on Saturday his agent received call from the Raiders.
A deal was completed "immediately," and Boyko even had to use the fax machine at Maple Grove Raceway, where his whole family is involved in drag, racing to complete the transaction.
Boyko bounced back from an injury-plagued junior season with a stellar senior year in 2012.
He led Lehigh in tackles with 104, including three for losses and one sack. He returned an interception for a touchdown against Liberty University and forced a pair of fumbles.
Since the season ended, he worked extremely hard with Lehigh staff members Eric Markovcy and Ed Ruisz to get himself in shape.
"Those guys got me ready along with Speed Advantage Training," Boyko said on Sunday. "I definitely have the confidence that I have the tools to make a pro team. Obviously, I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I am excited to get there and prove myself. It's a new level of play, going from the Patriot League to the pros. There's a lot of doubts, but I just want to prove myself the way I know I can and do the right things."

No comments: