Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks and making picks on Turkey Day

FROM KEITH GROLLER

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving.

Can't believe another one is here.

Hope the bad weather holds off until the games are completed this morning.

I want to give thanks on this day to having a job where I get to meet and come to know so many terrific people who I would have never known if I just worked in some office building somewhere.

Oh, there are moments I wish I was sweeping floors somewhere and didn't know anybody because I get blistered with comments like:

"Groller, you're such a biased creep. You never liked our school!"

Or, "Groller I can't believe you didn't write about my daughter's game. She works so hard. She deserves so much credit. Of course, you wrote about [fill in the blank]. But my girl is the one who really deserves it."

Ah, yes, there are days I am reluctant to turn this computer on because I know a few nasty messages are awaiting me.

But many, many other days I get to interact -- in some way -- with some great people; people I would have never known without this job.

Now, on to the high school/NFL picks.

With the high school picks, I was 5-3 last week, making me 214-59 on the season.

Here we go:

THURSDAY GAMES

Northampton 21, Catasauqua 14 -- I thinkered with the idea of an upset, but just figure that Northampton's size will eventually win out. On this day, I always think of my grandmother, a Northampton grad, and my great-uncle who used to have a store on Race Street in Catty. They loved this game. And really, so do I.

Easton 35, Phillipsburg 14 -- First time I picked against Stemmy and the Stateliners all year. Easton amazes me with what they try to do almost every year -- play two games within three days. Just amazing. They embrace the challenge. They never whine about it.

Stroudsburg 22, ES South 21 -- This may be more wishful thinking than likely to happen. Nothing against Ed Christian and the Cavs, but I would love to see good guy Fred Ross go out with a win. Still think it's a shame what has happened to him up there. He was "Mr. Stroudsburg" to me and hopefully he will continue to coach in a sport that he loves somewhere else next season.

Pennridge 28, Quakertown 13 -- I always seem to get this game wrong in recent years. Rams have had a better season, but that doesn't always translate to this game.

Boyertown 34, Upper Perk 19 -- Boyertown is 9-2, proving they know how to play more than just baseball down there near Route 100.

PLAYOFF GAMES

Northern Lehigh 34, GAR 20 -- Only thing to worry about here is a letdown after that emotion spent against North Schuylkill.

CCHS 48, Abington Heights 20 -- I know this is 12-0 against 12-0. And anybody who is 12-0 should be respected. I just believe that the Vikings' 12-0 is against better competition and I just believe in Brendan Nosovitch and that offense.

Whitehall 27, Easton 20 -- Man, I wish I could be at this one, but at the time this game is going on I will be flying back from Cedar Falls, Iowa, where I am covering the Lehigh-Northern Iowa game on Saturday. The Rovers deserve so much credit for how they approach this two-games-in-three-days situation. They pulled it off last year, but this Whitehall team is better than last year's Parkland team. The Zephs offense looked a lot better last week and will try to spread out Easton. There's no doubt that the Rovers will play with a lot of emotion -- especially now that they've lost to Phillipsburg in a heartbreaker. The Zephs' defense will be as scrappy as ever, but it'll be up to the Whitehall offense to make enough plays to extend the season. The Weave, by the way, is going with Easton 30-18 and he sent his pick late Thursday night, knowing that Easton lost to P'burg.

NFL ON THURSDAY

In the NFL, I was 12-3 outright, 10-5 against the spread and 3-12 on the over/under totals last week. For the season, I am 83-74 outright, 69-82-6 against spread and 73-83-1 on the over/under.

New England (-7.5) 31, DETROIT 21 -- over the 50.5

New Orleans (-4) 28, DALLAS 14 -- under the 50.

NEW YORK JETS (-9) 24, Cincinnnati 17 -- under the 43.5.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

No comments: