Friday, March 26, 2010

SAUCON VALLEY SAGA

FROM KEITH GROLLER

First of all, let me make this clear -- I don't like what happened with the Saucon Valley softball situation.

I've written about this in print and I emphasize it again here -- parents, in many cases, are way out of line and in this case, a few of the disgruntled got their way. Through what appears to be school board connections, they got rid of a good coach in John Seneca, a guy who was 66-26 over four years and beloved by many of the girls he coached.

If they had done this in June right after last season had ended, or in August or in November or even in January it still would have been bad.

But for John's ouster to come in March added to the disgrace, and may be one of the worst job handlings I've seen in a long time on the high school level, if not ever.

The fact that practice began with an interim coach or two running the show is disgraceful and the fact that the new coach wasn't officially hired until three days before the season's first play date is downright absurd.

All of that being said, I am rooting for Robyn Savitske because she just wants to coach. She had nothing to do with Seneca's situation, didn't know a thing about it -- until John's shocking ouster was announced in the press.

So, here comes Savitske, just 25, from Maine into a tough situation where she's just trying to forge relationships and get to know her players.

Because of her late hiring and my busy schedule this week, we didn't make connections for the Colonial League Softball preview until Thursday night -- minutes before I had absolutely had to have the story done for Friday's editions.

We talked several times struggling to piece together who to list and who should be returnees and newcomers and who was still on the team from a list I had from last year.

She definitely mentioned co-captains Sarah Seneca (John's daughter) and Colleen Garrity first, but in my haste and quest to get all of the girls listed, I somehow forgot to list Seneca and Garrity as I most definitely should have since they are the team's star catcher and pitcher.

And obviously, when the names were not there in print this morning, it may have caused more bad feelings and some may have been thinking it was intentional on the part of Robyn.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

This was is all on me. My fault. Yes, we were rushed because of the unusual circumstances this year, but Seneca and Garrity were mentioned by Robyn and should have been listed by me. There's no conspiracy here.

While I still think John was badly mistreated, as was the entire program, I wish Savitske well because it's a most difficult task she has ahead of her. And she had no connection to what previously unfolded. She just wants to coach, wants to help her alma mater.

I know it's human nature for some to be hoping for Saucon to fail because of what happened with John Seneca, but knowing John, he is still pulling for the kids he coached and the program he boosted for four years.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I am just sorry that by accidentally not listing Seneca and Garrity among the returning players that I may have contributed to the difficult challenge facing Savitske, and for that I apologize.

I am trying to get additions to the story online and, in print, and look forward to seeing the Panthers in their league opener against Notre Dame next week.

FROM KEITH GROLLER

No comments: