Tuesday, February 23, 2010

KEITH GROLLER'S BASKETBALL PICKS

From Keith Groller

I love the high school basketball season, but I've got to be honest.

I'm tired of the winter. I'm sick of snowy forecasts, sick of being sick and having to go to the local drugstore to buy more Vicks Nyquil, Dayquil, Mucinex, Robitussin, tissues whatever...to deal with yet another cold. I think I'm on cold No. 6 of this winter season, or maybe it's just one long one that lets up every once in awhile.

I'm sick of the sneezes, sniffles and hacking coughs of everyone else around me, too. And here on Groller's Corner, I am sick of having to trudge out to the woodshed and bring in stacks of wood to feed a fire in the fireplace that is needed to keep half of the house warm.

Right about now, I'm thinking spring and summer. Forget March Madness, I'm thinking about June and July Jublilation. I'm thinking about the beach, baseball, walks in the woods instead of walks to the woodshed, a backyard barbeque, having to turn on the air conditioner and not the defroster on in the car etc., etc.

My friend and former coach at Dieruff, Tommy Young, just e-mailed me last week to tell me how wonderful it is down there at Port St. Lucie, Fla., where he is Fred Wilpon's right-hand man with the Mets. He didn't rub it in too much. TY invited me down there to hang out with him and his family. Ok, it's the Mets and not my beloved Cardinals, but it sure sounds pretty darn nice down there. One year, maybe, if I can sneak away.

Ah, but I digress.

I am glad to be kept quite busy eight of the next 12 nights with the District 11 basketball tournament. Less time to think about what time of year it still is and how miserable the weather and sinuses continue to be.

We dip our toes into the tournament with two games tonight and then really get into it with a batch of 4A games on Wednesday night. I should tell you that there's already a 4A girls game -- Freedom at Pocono Mt. East -- that was postponed today by more snow headed to the Poconos. Like I said, I'm sick of it.

Here are the first-round predictions:

3A BOYS

Southern Lehigh 65, Saucon Valley 59...I've seen these teams a few times this season and haven't seen either win yet. Something's gotta give when I am there tonight. I know Saucon won the most recent matchup between them, but I've been impressed with Solehi's offense the few times I've seen them. Spartans won't give up their gold from last year without a fight.

Panther Valley 50, North Schuylkill 48... Don't know much about either side, but I know Panther Valley won two previous meetings.

4A BOYS

Liberty 65, Bangor 44 ... Slaters need to lose a few kids and get that enrollment figure back to the 3A level where they can be more successful. If you hear what some people have said, it wouldn't be the first time the enrollment barrier was manipulated.

Easton 55, ES North 49.. With exception of LVC finale against Becahi on Bob Bukvics Night, Red Rovers were playing about as well as anyone toward the end of the regular season.

Allen 63, Stroudsburg 59... Tough draw for the Canaries. Don't be fooled by Mountaineers' 9-14 record.

Freedom 68, Northampton 61... Two teams that had moments of brilliance this season. Either one will be dangerous as it advances. Ed Ohlson will be happy to know I am not covering this one.

Whitehall 57, Emmaus 50....Zephyrs have been very good at home this season. And this is one last home game for them. Emmaus, though, has bright future.

Keith Groller

No comments: